Coral background

Monday, November 14, 2011

Recipe Review: Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Growing up, I hated soup. To this day I'm still kinda finicky about it. But this soup is by far my all-time favorite. 
It's pretty simple. Just celery, carrots, onions, mushroom, rice, shredded chicken, cream of mushroom soup & broth. And butter :)
And if you have a KitchenAid mixer, you can stick in a couple of cooked and slightly cooled chicken breasts and it will literally shred them for you. I didn't believe it for myself, but I tried it and it worked beautifully. 
This was the first time I had chicken and wild rice soup that wasn't made by my sweet mama and it turned out great!

Here's the recipe:
2 quarts chicken broth
1/2 lb. mushrooms, chopped (I didn't add quite this many)
1 c. finely chopped celery
1 c. shredded carrots
1/2 c. finely chopped onions
1 tsp. chicken bouillon (I left this out)
1 tsp. parsley
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 stick butter (or if you're like me, add a whole stick by accident and don't take any out)
1/4 c. flour
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c. additional broth or milk
2 c. shredded, cooked chicken
1 box long grain and wild rice, prepared according to directions on box

Combine 1 qt. broth, mushrooms, celery, carrots, onions, bouillon, parsley, garlic powder, thyme in pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

In a large pot, melt 1/2 stick butter, stir in flour, whisk in broth. Bring to boil, cook & stir until the mixture thickens (about the consistency of gravy). Mix in can of soup, milk, chicken and rice. Pour vegetable mixture into large pot and heat through. 

Serve with homemade bread!

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! We are going to make this next week once we get back from our anniversary.

    ReplyDelete