Coral background

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spinach (?) Smoothies

If you're on Pinterest, you've probably seen at least one recipe for some sort of smoothie with spinach. An avid hater of most vegetables, seeing those recipes used to make my stomach turn. Key words: used to. Over Christmas break, my mom was making some detox smoothies with spinach and they were delish. I know, it sounds disgusting, but trust me on this one - they're awesome. In fact, I made a smoothie without spinach a few days ago and it just wasn't the same without the little green leaves. You can't really taste the spinach - it's more of a texture thing and I'm a big texture person. If you're apprehensive, give it a try! You won't be disappointed. 
I used a non-fat 8 oz. Archer Farms vanilla yogurt, about 1.5/2 cups of spinach, a really ripe banana, and about 1 cup of blueberries. I added some ice* and a little water (but if you're wanting some a little more creamy, go for milk).  
So pretty! You could definitely add other berries of sorts. My mom really likes mangoes in them. You could also substitute Greek yogurt for a little more protein.
Looks healthy, but tastes delicious!

*I read if you drink ice cold beverages, something that burns on average 10 calories a day, you'll end up loosing a pound over the course of a year! Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment