Coral background

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Scaredy Cat

For the past few weeks, the Summit has been going through a series called "Homewreckers." Not surprisingly, the series covers topics that are destructive to the home and relationships in general. The first two sermons were about ambition and work. They were definitely both good sermons with challenging points, but the third sermon in the series hit me hard. It was about fear. 

For the record, I didn't even know I struggled with fear. I mean yeah, I'm paranoid if I'm by myself at night at home. Yes, I took a self-defense class before going to college just in case I ever had to walk through the Arboretum (a.k.a. the Raparetum) after dusk. But fear? Definitely not a word I had (until today that is) in my vocabulary to describe sins I struggled with. But that's probably because I never really thought worrying and fear were sins. I always thought that in excess amounts fear was bad, but in moderation it was okay. I even convinced myself that fear was a good thing, from God (after all, the Bible does repeatedly tell us to fear Him)! There are two explanations for this: 1) I'm retarded and uber type-A or 2) the church doesn't really spell out what fear is/that it actually is sinful. The answer probably lies somewhere between these two choices.

I definitely don't want to recap the entire sermon (if you want to listen to it, here's the link), but some of the things Veronica said about fear were super convicting. Because fear so often dominates women, J.D. stepped aside for a portion of the sermon and let his super cool wife talk for a few minutes. Her first point was that worrying/fear is a sin. Shocker. She also said that we operate as if we control our own lives which is why we even worry about day to day stuff in the first place. Ouch. And, we (usually women) make up situations that have never even happened and worry about those things. Totally guilty. She said we suffer more in dreading imaginary situations than we would if the situation actually happen. *Insert knife and twist*

J.D. finished up by saying that fear ultimately signals unbelief in the Gospel. Why? Because God's love is perfect and perfect love casts out fear (1 John 4:18). God's love is intense, secure, and satisfying - leaving nothing to be afraid of.

No comments:

Post a Comment