Coral background

Thursday, July 7, 2011

TCP Update: Coming to an End

This week is our last "normal" week at The City Project. All the things we've been doing (seminary class, Summit internship, community ministry internship, various seminars) essentially end come 6:00 p.m. today.

Next week, we'll participate in ServeRDU, a week where people from the Summit come together to partner with organizations in the area and to serve the Raleigh-Durham area. Then, after ServeRDU, we leave for Kenya! I can't believe this portion of TCP is coming to a close. It's got me wondering what I actually learned. At first, it was hard for me to answer this question, but I think that's just because I've learned so much about so many different things:
  • More than anything, I've gained a hunger to grow in knowledge and wisdom in the Lord. So many of my friends on CP and the leaders are so wise and insightful, which has propelled me towards truth. 
  • I've realized how often (like, um, every single day) I need to re-teach the Gospel to myself. Being around people all the time, whether at CP events or at home, is trying for me and I found myself getting short or sarcastic a lot of the time which were just behavioral reminders that I my heart needs to be reminded of the grace and mercy poured out on my behalf, so that I can pour out that same grace on others. 
  • Before TCP, I knew I was introverted. Being a part of TCP definitely confirmed that. The first week after we got back from New York I was seriously crazy because I had been around people non-stop. At first I felt guilty taking time to be by myself, but it didn't take me long to figure out that in order to be sane, I needed to spend time journaling or reading or just sitting in a quiet room.
  • I feel even more in love with the people at the Summit. Before this summer, everyone at the Summit (for the most part. hah.) seemed super genuine and hospitable and caring. But at the beginning of the summer, knowing I was going to be working with a lot of the staff, I was a little apprehensive as to whether I would use those same adjectives by the end of TCP. I would definitely maintain those descriptions, and even heap more praises onto the initial ones. My fellow City Projecters and I have been shown so much hospitality in the past few weeks. I've gotten coffee and had dinner with people I never thought would care to have more than a 5 minute conversation with me because they had more important, super-Christian things to be doing. More than them being nice or gracious, these people have shown me what missional, Gospel-centered living truly looks like, and I think ultimately that's what I've love the most about the people at the Summit. 
  • I've also learned a lot about working with people who have different personalities and how to operate as the Body of Christ. 
I could seriously go on for an annoying amount of time, but these are just some of the highlights. God has worked in so many ways throughout my time in New York and Durham. I'm excited to see what He will do internationally!

Please pray for strength and rest for the upcoming week as we serve the Raleigh-Durham area and as we prepare for our international trips. Pray for health to be restored and maintained. Pray for the people we will interact with internationally, both in Kenya and Southeast Asia, that the Holy Spirit would start working in their hearts. 

1 comment:

  1. Liz, my friend, you are amazing! And I love reading about your growth this summer. I'm hoping we'll get to hang out and spend more time together this year because you're wonderful! Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete