Coral background

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Imaginitive Fear & Harry Caray

I am a worrier. That's why my friends call me whiskers. No? Anyone? If you've never seen this video, seriously watch it.

On a more serious note, because I am a worrier, I recently started reading Overcoming Fear, Worry, & Anxiety by Elyse Fitzpatrick. It's been wonderful so far and has been extremely revealing and convicting as I see how often I allow fear and anxiety to dominate my thoughts. So many times my imagination runs rampant, coming up with scenarios that are not only illogical but often impossible that I spend time and energy worrying about, despite their improbability. Elyse Fitzpatrick speaks directly to this idea of imaginative fear by saying,

"the problem with fears that exist only in our imagination is that, since they aren't real, we must face them alone... it's only in the real world that His power is effective to uphold us in trouble."

While we can't will our imaginations into submission by changing our own nature, we can rely on the Holy Spirit, because only true change in our hearts and minds comes from Him. 

Rest in this verse today: "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You." -Isaiah 26:3

No comments:

Post a Comment