Coral background

Friday, April 20, 2012

Birth Control: Let's Do This.

First of all, thanks to everyone who read/commented/liked my blog post about NFP and the Pill. I was totally encouraged, excited, and edified (alliteration!) by the response it received. Some of the feedback I received prompted me to write another (errr multiple) post(s) in response for the sake of clarity.

I definitely wasn't trying to make any blanket statements about how only real Christians use Natural Family Planning and all them heathens on the birth controls are goin' to hell. Not at all. My intentions were to simply get the ball rolling for 1) women to think about birth control and their bodies, 2) explain my own personal convictions, and 3) give resources for both men and women to check out, like Mark Driscoll's balanced, systematic sermon on birth control and Sharon Miller's article about the female body and hospitality. Both of these resources are fantastic (as well as many other of Miller's articles, as she and her husband practice NFP); by presenting them, I assumed readers who wanted further clarification would seek out those resources. Buuttt you know what they say about assuming things.

So, I'm going to do a series on birth control/the female body! Woohoo! Posts will range from theological to ethical to down-right practical (boy-discretion-advised). And I'm going to feature my first ever guest blogger! And I'm hoping my sweet fiance will weigh in on all this girl talk, because in reality its not all girl talk - its a subject men need to be well-versed in too!

I'm going to try to keep it real without getting too detailed/technical. I'm a TA for Biology 101 here at UNC, so I have to stand up in front of dozens of students and talk about all things sexual. At first, the mention of the reproduction chapter made me blush, but now I can pretty much stand in front of anybody and talk about the path sperm take and say "gonads" without giggling. (Let's be real, people, that's a feat.)

Hooray for awkward processes! Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment