Coral background

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

On Being "Colorblind"

Being a student at UNC and living in a highly educated area of the country, I feel like I'm constantly bombarded with political correctness. There's usually lots of talk of being accepting and open-minded and being "colorblind," or not being cognizant of racial differences.


Quite frankly, I think this is a load of crap.

I used to feel defected or in the wrong because I couldn't ever not notice racial differences. That's when I realized maybe I wasn't supposed to.

This semester I'm in an anthropology class and we've discussed how colorblindness is harmful, not helpful, to white people and people of color. Socially, ignoring race creates problems because race itself does in fact exist. From a Christian standpoint, ignoring race denies God's creativity and robs humans, who are made in God's likeness, of dignity.

"Colorblindness" assumes that differences are inherently negative. However, as Christians, we know that not to be true. Non-moral differences are meant to be celebrated since they reflect a good, diverse, and loving Creator who made each individual in his image.

No comments:

Post a Comment