Coral background

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Happy (Belated) Birthday!

So I meant to post this on April 4th in honor of my roomie's birthday. Better late than never.
Because she chocolate chip cookies are her favorite, I decided to maker her a chocolate chip cookie birthday cake! I initially was going to make it a two layer cake with a layer of icing in between the layers but after I pulled the cakes out of the oven, I knew that I had to abort my original plan lest I wanted everyone who ate the double-decker goodness to go into diabetic coma.
The cookie recipe called for two sticks of butter. I usually don't make recipes that take more than a stick of butter, but I trudged through. It was well worth it. Plus the dough ended up making two relatively thick cookie cakes, so it wasn't that unhealthy. I think.
The dough was delicious. It had a fair amount of oatmeal in it which always makes for an interesting texture. I ended up baking a few lone cookies because I had dough left over from the cakes and they were similar to these lovely cookies I made a few months ago.
I split the dough and baked the cakes in two 9-inch pans. Definitely make sure to grease them adequately so they come out clean!
The cakes ended up being about an inch thick, which was definitely too thick (in my opinion) to make a two layered cookie cake. You can see how the oatmeal really stands out here and the brown sugar caramelizes really well.

While I was letting the cakes cool, I made some cream cheese icing to decorate them with. 
Hello, lovely.
Of course I didn't take a picture of the icing making process, so just pretend. Thanks. 

At first I was afraid the cream cheese icing would be too heavy, but since the cake wasn't too sweet, the icing added just the right amount of richness. I really loved this icing! I don't know that I would use it to decorate a cake like this again but I think it would be perfect for whoopie pies or a homemade strawberry cake. Delicious. 

Here's the recipe for the chocolate chip oatmeal cookies!

I couldn't find the exact recipe I used for the icing, but this one looks amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment