Coral background

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Recipe Review: Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies

Apple cinnamon is my favorite kind of oatmeal. In my book, its the only kind of oatmeal. Its basically fall in a bowl. Cookies are my favorite dessert. Hands down. When I saw this recipe from Joy the Baker for apple cinnamon oatmeal cookies, I went into anaphylactic shock for about 4 seconds, then grabbed my mixer and started baking. 
As far as dough goes, this was no doubt the best non-chocolate cookie dough I've ever made. It was sweet, but not overpowering. The chunks of apple added a hint of tartness which made the dough unexpected and really added to the texture. 
The recipe directions said to line the baking sheet with parchment paper. I almost skipped that step, mainly because my parchment paper is about 4 inches too wide to fit my cookie sheet and I can't have that, so I have to cut the paper down to size. OCD tendency. Luckily I followed the directions, despite the parchment paper cutting, because once the cookies were done I realized how important the parchment paper is to this recipe. The brown sugar and apples caramelized very well together which would have made scooping them off a non-parchment-lined sheet difficult.
I baked the cookies for 10 minutes (the recipe said to bake them for 10 to 13 minutes) and they were very gooey but I decided to let them cool and set up. The cookies remained somewhat flimsy but the taste made up for it, plus, they were soft.
Overall, these cookies were amazing. They were so unusual. The texture, once set up, was really like eating homemade oatmeal that was stuck in the oven for ten minutes. Really sweet, gooey, cinnamony homemade oatmeal that would probably kill you if you ate it every morning for breakfast.

Check out these cookies and Joy the Baker's website!

No comments:

Post a Comment