Coral background

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Recipe Review: Sit & Stay Awhile Apple Crisp

Over spring break I made yet another dessert from Joy the Baker's extensive recipe index.
For this baking escapade, I had some help from a boy who loves me enough to peel six gigantic apples, keep nursery at church, and buy me a Kitchenaid mixer. Oh, and allow me to take goofy pictures of him whilst baking. Its true love.
After cutting all the apples into thin slices, I layered the apples with a sugar-cinnamon filling according to the recipe.
I repeated this process until all the apples were covered with the cinnamon-sugar goodness.
Then I dug my fingers into the apples and gently tossed them around to make sure they were all coated with the filling. I may or may not have stolen an apple or two for consumption.
Next, I sprinkled the topping over the apples, stuck it in the oven and waited.
This was what I pulled out of the oven after about 45 minutes. There are these mysterious white spots on the cobbler. I realize this. It could have something to do with the fact that after about 35 minutes in the oven the apple crisp was looking a bit dry, so naturally, we added more butter. My apple crisp didn't turn out as beautiful as Joy the Baker's, but its what's on the inside that counts. It tasted beautiful, especially when paired with vanilla bean ice cream.

Overall, I really liked the apple crisp. It wasn't overwhelmingly sweet, which was definitely a good thing. When we went to scoop it out of the dish, it was a bit wet, but that might have something to do with the 8 whopping tabs of butter I smacked on the thing before allowing it to fully bake and be coated with the natural juices from the apples. This was a great alternate to something rich and chocolaty. And since its fruit, you can have 3 helpings because its basically like a salad.

You can find this recipe at Joy the Baker's lovely blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment