Coral background

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Puppy Chow Brownies

Puppy chow might be my favorite sweet snack. If I were stranded on a desert island, I would take puppy chow, a tent, my Kitchenaid and ingredients to make more puppy chow. Exaggeration, perhaps, but I really love the stuff.

Since puppy chow in and of itself is so great, I decided to incorporate it with brownies. I'd never made anything like it before, I'd never even seen a recipe for it before, but it turned out to be phenomenal.


First, I made Ghiradelli triple chocolate brownies, just straight up from the box. While the brownies were baking, I made the puppy chow mixture. 


I heated up 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter (I used crunchy, but creamy would be best) and 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips slowly in the microwave on a low power level. 


Once the peanut butter and chocolate melted, I stirred in 1 1/2 cups of semi-crushed chex cereal. 


Then I topped the brownies with the still warm puppy chow mixture a minute or two after they came out of the oven. 



Hello, beautiful. You'll be put to good use. 


Using a sifter, I sprinkled powdered sugar over the brownies. 


Luckily I made these brownies when we were having guests and most of them got eaten by the end of the evening. They were amazing. However, if I were making them again I would make sure to cut them and place them on a platter before serving because some people found it difficult to get both the puppy chow mixture and brownie together in one scoop. I would also wait until closer to serving them to sprinkle them with powdered sugar. Overall, this was a great recipe. I will definitely be making it again soon! 


Here's the recipe:
1 box of brownies (and additional ingredients specified on package)
1 1/2 cups crushed chex cereal
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips 
Powdered sugar, sifted, for topping

Bake brownies according to directions on package. Heat peanut butter and chocolate chips in the microwave or double boiler using low heat until melted. Stir in chex cereal. Top brownies with puppy chow mixture. Allow to cool in the refrigerator for two hours. Top with sifted powdered sugar. Cut and serve!

1 comment: