Coral background

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Experimenting with Pesto

This past Saturday was the UNC-Duke game. In honor of this momentous occasion, my family stayed home and cooked a pre-game dinner. Said dinner consisted of homemade pizza, one of my favorites. I wanted to try something different, something with a little more pizazz than plain pepperoni, so I made a pesto sauce to go on one of the pizzas. It was definitely an experiment, but it turned out really well!
I realize it doesn't look like the most appetizing thing in the world, but hang in there with me.
I decided to put shredded chicken and bacon on the pizza, just to balance out the healthiness of the spinach pesto. I can't receive too many nutrients from vegetables, my body won't allow it. I need meat.
I added more cheese for good measure. It full of calcium, so its good for you. Kinda.
After about ten minutes in the oven this is what came out. Delicious chicken, bacon, pesto pizza.
I was afraid the pesto was going to be too strong, especially for my dad & brother, neither of whom are garlic lovers. I was shocked to see that they both really loved it. The pesto was not overpowering at all! It was interesting enough to make this pizza great but at the same time it wasn't too strong. It was juuust right.


Oh, and in case you were wondering, UNC won.

Here's the recipe for the spinach pesto:

4 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 clove of garlic, pressed
1 tbs. olive oil
2 1/2 tbs. water

Add the first three ingredients to a food processor and blend well. Add wet ingredients. Pulse for approximately one minute intermittently, until a desired consistency is reached.
*Note: A blender could also be used to make this pesto, so long as the nuts and garlic are finely chopped beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment