Coral background

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Why All My Friends Aren't 20

I'm not talking about helping a cute older lady across the street or taking an older man's groceries to his car. I'm talking about having an older and wiser Christian mentor. If all my friends were my age I would be passing up a big blessing.

Over spring break I was able to meet with a godly woman who mentors me. Thinking back, its hard for me to recall how we first met. I think it was right before my first international mission trip to Romania in 2007. I had to get Cipro to take with me in case I got sick (I, of course, did get sick after eating my first hot dog since the 7th grade - another story for another time) so I went to my doctor's office and someone, I can't even remember who, told me to talk to a receptionist named Wendy. Lo and behold we clicked and have met with one another ever since. 

This woman is able to speak into my life in a way that I know what she says is from the Lord.

I often find myself just moving on from one event in my life to the next, never stopping to see how God worked in each event or season. But Wendy is able to point back to seasons in my life and show me how God guided me during that time in ways I haven't even considered. Each time after we meet I can't help but be thankful and praise the Lord because she shows me the plethora of reasons I have to worship by drawing on my past experiences in which God revealed Himself (I'm just usually too oblivious or busy or dumb to think about it on my own).

In addition to talking about recent happenings in both of our lives, we pray for one another. Both Wendy & I have seen prayer requests answered not even a week after we met over spring break. Crazy. Like 1 Thessalonians says, we're able to give thanks for each other and pray for one another, remembering what God has done in both of our lives.

If you don't have a mentor then pray for one or ask an older, godly woman or man to mentor you. Its a huge blessing!

2We give thanks to God always for all of you, constantly mentioning you in our prayers, 3remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
-1 Thessalonians 1:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment