Coral background

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Who Needs CookOut?

My dessert of choice is cookies. They're just so cute and come in so many varieties. Plus you can make them with your tiny cookie scoop so you can eat 17 and not feel fat. That is until the next morning when you step on the scale. Not that I speak from personal experience or anything. 'Cause I don't. Maybe.

But when its 104 degrees outside, I don't jump for joy at using an oven. Hence the birth of this dessert.

Miles and I frequent CookOut more than we should and nearly every time we split a peanut butter banana Oreo milkshake. It's perfect. PB and banana are obvious soul mates, and everyone who's ever seen The Parent Trap knows PB and Oreos are the best of friends, so we combined the two. Lots of people question the banana, but trust me, its a necessity. It somehow counterbalances the richness of the PB + Oreo combo.

Since the nearest CookOut is about 20 minutes away and Miles gave me this fantastic ice cream maker for my KitchenAid, I decided to try my hand at making our favorite milkshake!
First I made the peanut butter ice cream base. It's super easy and the recipe is below. You don't even need to use the stove top and heat it because it doesn't have eggs! 
I put about a sleeve of double stuffed Oreos in my food processor and let it spin for a minute.
Then I cut a banana in half and sliced it thinly.
I put the ice cream base in the maker and turned my KitchenAid on "Stir" for about 20 minutes. Then I added the Oreo bits and banana pieces and let it stir until it was mixed.

This recipe was a winner! Miles' response was "Who needs CookOut?!"

My job here is done. 



Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Adapted from Annie's Eats
About 4 servings 

¾ c. creamy peanut butter
¾ c. sugar
1 1/2 c. half and half
1 c. skim milk
Pinch of salt
Dash of vanilla extract

Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Chill in the refrigerator for as long as possible (ideally about 1 hour). Place in KitchenAid ice cream attachment, "Stir" for about 20 minutes. Stir in 1 sleeve crushed Oreos and 1 chopped banana. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment